Thursday, March 01, 2007

Secret or Scam?



OK. I've been hearing about The Secret. Apparently Oprah did a show but I didn't know about it until I heard about her follow-up show where so many people stepped forward to say, "Wow! It worked."

A colleague who works remotely with my company mentioned it in reference to a potential writer we are looking into and she was recommending and at that time I had just heard about it so I was a little amazed at the coincidence of her mentioning it. By that time Oprah's follow-up was going to be showing that very next day. I was hoping to get home to find out what this was when her show aireed again at 7 that night. I had a business meeting after work that ran longer than I expected so I missed it. But I heard on the radio just two days ago that that show will be re-running either at the end of March or the beginning of April.

Well, just a few minutes ago as I put on my shoes and tried to drown out Son yelling about the arrival of the first day of Spring, Mr. T. turned up the volume as they talked again about The Secret on one of the morning shows.

"Oh yeah! I've been hearing about this. What IS this?"

"Somebody's trying to replace or repackage the Bible," he laughed.

They talked about the secret being pretty much if you believe it can happen, the universe WILL make it happen. Then had a little debate between the "expert" who said, "That's basically right but you've got to act too." and the expert who said, "The danger is that this thing GUARANTEES that your belief in something WILL make it happen, including curing cancer and blindness."

Oh boy.

Mr. T. kept snickering in the background. "Of course if you're motivated you can make all kinds of things happen."

"Man," I responded. "It's amazing how God isn't mentioned anywhere."

In case you didn't know it, let me let you in on a little secret that's not a secret - God said, "As a man thinketh, so is he."

God said, "Faith can move mountains."

God said, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue."

Guess what folk. The Secret is a spin on what God already promised except He did NOT say all disease would be cured, all blindness taken away, all bad done away with on THIS side of heaven. He did say He would take what others meant for evil and use it for your good, so you've still got - say it with me here - FAITH, HOPE, LOVE.

The secret appears to be yet another way to twist his words and He also ended His word, The Bible with, "Neither add to, nor take away from my word."

Please let me be clear, your faith CAN change things. You MUST act as well because even God has told us to believe AND confess and confessions is an action. Prayer is an action, waiting can be an action too. So see, God, as I believe, wants us to act too. If you want something, faith in yourself and the gifts God gave you along with work will do amazing things to bring it to pass.

This is the secret the world didn't know? I don't even know what more to say. Oh yeah, it's because God already said it - There is nothing new under the sun.

UPDATE: I went looking for healthy or weight loss related television shows for a co-worker and came across this article on CBN.com. Whether you find CBN generally too rigid or too anything I don't think really matters. It still makes the point. The third graph from the end was particularly interesting.

1 comment:

Looney Mom™ said...

Well said girl. It really ticks me off when people come up with stuff like this. Lord have mercy on their souls - the idiots.