Monday, January 15, 2007

At the Movies

VERY uneventful weekend, this weekend. Well, no, that's not true. We were up ALL NIGHT Friday with Daughter. She was throwing up. She did it at least 7 times which meant 2 clothes changes for me, 1 bath for her and an additional clothes change and two bed cleanups as well. Not to meantion the washer was going all night as well. Not fun. She's been mucus-y for too long anad I'm starting to wonder. She was sick a couple of weeks agao and I swear it hasn't completely gone away and now this. Don't know. Gott insist someone look at her.

On a brighter note, I was supposed to get rockets on Son's wall - but I didn't. I have a mirror I want to buy for the foyer and some lamps for Son's rooms but I was too lazy to go to the store alllllll the way in New Haven. Instead, I was in the mood for movies, so I rented 4 for us and 2 for the kids. In case you love them as much as I do, I'll tell you what I saw.

The Devil Wears Prada - Good movie. I found myself wondering what I would do in Andy's (Anne Hathaway) place since I too graduated college to go into journalism but had to make my start somewhere. I chose the copy editing route. She chose to be the assistant of a big time fashion magazine editor. Her world was certainly more glamourous but she was a HUGE size 6 and considered fat. Gee, they would have probably paid for me to have gastric bypass surgery then! The whole thing seemed very on point from the journalism point of view and I recently read that it was very accurate from the fashion perspective too. My point of contention was the friends/boyfriend. They knew how hard she had to work. Everyone, including her in the beginning, thought the whole world a joke but she grew to respect the industry and do the job really well and they made it hard for her. She went into it knowing that if she gave this job her all for one year, doors would open for her. That's how it is when you're coming out of college so I think she got a gret oppportunity. She gave her friends $1,000 telephones and purses - benefits of the job. They couldn't have tolerated her busy schedule for one lousy year? Yes, she was headed down a bad path but from what I could see, she would have gotten back on course anyway without their unsupportive behavior. I didn't think she ever sold out. They did. I guess we'll just have to disagree on that one.

Wicker Man - REALLY good. I didn't see it coming. I'm not so sure I should say more than that on this one in case someone wants to see it but I can say it sure gives women a bad name. Still, it was intriguing and even at the very end, I found myself hoping someone would come out of the blue and save the day. Alternate ending didn't change anyone's fate. Gotta love Nicholas Cage.

Little Miss Sunshine - Ummmm, OK. I didn't really think this was a grown-up movie but Alan Arkin is playing the grandfather here and he very much made it an R when he was on the screen. My daughter was laying with us when I was playing this one and I found myself coughing and singing and covering her ears way too much. At least until Grandpa was gone. Then it was cool. It was weird, for sure. I like the cast and I'm still astounded that Greg Kinnear has so much range. I remember him from his Talk Soup days on the E! channel. The dad (Kinnear) wants to be a motivational speaker; the son wants to fly jets; the daughter wants to be a beauty queen; the brother-in-law (Steve Carell) is a genius professor who wants his former gay lover back who jilted him for his competitor; the mom (Toni Collette) wants everyone to be happy and NO ONE gets what they want in the end. Wacky. Nice to see a family so united but I'm still pondering this one.

The Illusionist
- Excellent. Absolutely knew this was going to be some twisted mystery and I watched it with that in mind yet I still didn't figure it out until the Inspector (Paul Giamatti) was bumped on the street when a young boy was handing him a package. Then I knew what was going on. I loved it. Not sure I can own it knowing how it all works but it was fun to watch and I love Edward Norton so it was worth my time.


Barnyard - Watched this with the kiddies. Daughter and I fell asleep. Son got through it. In all fairness, it was a rainy Saturday and rainy days and Saturdays always get me down (to sleep, that is). I tell you, they just don't make kids movies interesting like they used to. I did what I always do - listened to see who voices I can pick out and that kept me going a while. Son laughed a bit. Good enough. I also got them How to Eat Fried Worms and I knew I would not be able to stomach that so I didn't tell them I got it. I'll let Mr. T do that today since they are out of school but I am not off work today.

But hey, I also watched one on HBO2 that I hadn't seen yet. Nanny McPhee. Daughter sat still for that one. I thought it was great. Wasn't sure I'd be able to look at Emma Thompson's not so attracttive face but that alters as the kids get their acts together. Reminded me of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, also a good one that Son loved but I like weird stuff like this. And it's not even a cartoon!

And these, my friends, are my reviews for now!

No comments: