Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Belated Greetings!

I am late. I know. I have been busy being an entreprenuering mommy. Going to Son's 2 1/2 hour talent show Friday night. Going to nephew-in-law's graduation and late lunch Saturday. Going to church with family Sunday and just lazing about eating free ice cream because it was MY day after all. Still I must tell the blogging mothers of the world...

Happy Mother's Day!

I even updated my puzzle image of the week - late - to reflect the belated sentiments. We multitasking mommies and mommies-to-be have a lot on our collective plate but I congratulate every mother who keeps her kids her priority in this increasingly hectic world. When you hear about the insane things that happen to children by accident or on purpose, you know how hard it can be to keep the kids in plain sight, let alone tops on our list of important things to take care of. But if not for them, then why? Sure, if you have no kids and no plans, then your motives may be different but BC (before children) the motives may not be quite as solid and fulfilling as they are now.

Man. Kids can be a headache and every day I have to back up and do something again when it comes to them. But when I sit there and watch them exhibiting my and my husband's personality traits, throwing them back at us like little missiles blowing up our theories for how they SHOULD be; when I see their unique ways shine so brightly despite the infusion of our DNA; when I watch the eyes of others as they stand amazed at the mature phrasings that come out of my daughter's mouth or they hear my son sing; when I listen to them fight and make up and fight and declare themselves best friends and fight some more; when I hang their artwork or smell the flowers they give me for no reason at all; when I happily go to work later than most because I have to watch Son get on the bus and take Daughter to the school she loves so much; when I kiss Son goodnight and put Daughter back in her own bed for the 3rd time in the middle of the night, I just can't imagine living this life and doing all I do without these little tormentors around to make it all worthwhile.

I've been told it all goes so fast and I know it's true because I've watched the babies of my church grow up over the past 13 years I've been a member and become adults yet I haven't aged a bit. Mr. T and I stared at Son's recent school picture wondering how he got so grown in that photo but in person he still looks so small. I can't think about the fleeting time though. I have to stay in the here and now, soaking them up for all they are worth. Burning them into my brain forever because it's just too sad sometimes to think that these little people are temporary and I truly won't be living with them for long. One day I won't be able to wrap my arms around them twice and swallow them in my hugs not just because of size but because they probably won't let me for awhile before coming back to a place where it's not embarrassing to be loved by your parents. I'll just enjoy today and remind myself to do it because sometimes I forget. And I'll continue to thank God for making me, as the minister who preached Sunday said, His babysitter. Truly one of the best paying jobs in the world.

2 comments:

Looney Mom™ said...

That was a beautiful post. What did we do before children? I can't even remember. They truly are a blessing - the "little tormentors" - LOL! Time really does fly and we have these precious people for just a while before they spread their wings. We should cherish every moment.

BTW, I'm so happy that your business is really starting to boom.

Monica said...

Before Children - Hmm. I vaguely recall something people call "sleep". Somehow the number of hours I require got less instead of more. Must be God's way of creating some balance for our screwed up internal clocks once babes come along.

And thanks for the business blessings! We just got confirmation that we got a fundraiser gig and we are psyched! :-)